This creamy soup can be prepared using pantry staples such as canned tomatoes and non-fat dry milk. Garlic and onion give this delicious soup an extra kick of flavor.
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic clove (crushed, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1 can tomatoes (14 1/2 ounce, drained and chopped)
- 1 teaspoon red pepper (ground, a pinch)
- 1 teaspoon basil (dried)
- 2/3 cup non-fat dry milk (NDM) (+ 2 cups water or substitute 2 cups nonfat milk for the reconstituted NDM)
- salt and pepper (optional, to taste)
1. In a medium saucepan, cook onion in oil over medium heat, stirring frequently until golden brown, about 4 minutes.
2. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Add chopped tomatoes.
3. Cook uncovered over medium heat for 10 minutes.
4. Spoon 3/4 of mixture into food processor or blender container; puree until smooth. Return to saucepan.
5. Add red pepper, basil, and reconstitute NDM to the soup. Heat until hot but do not boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper (optional). Serve immediately.
Food Distribution Service