Summer squash is the secret ingredient in this fun summer salsa. Enjoy with your favorite whole grains.
- 1 can black beans (rinsed)
- 6 tomatoes, seeded and diced (medium)
- 1/2 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 medium red onion (minced)
- 1 summer squash,medium (peeled, seeds removed, diced)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 can corn
- 1 teaspoon Adobo seasoning (combination or garlic, coriander, salt, and cumin)
- lemon or lime juice (2 Tablespoons, optional)
- 4 tablespoons mozzarella cheese, part skim
- fresh cilantro or dried parsely (optional)
1. Combine all ingredients except cheese. Let sit for 30 minutes.
2. Spoon over tortilla chips, cooked rice, or noodles.
3. Top with grated, part-skim mozzarella cheese. Serve hot or cold!
- Out of season idea - Use 1 can diced tomatoes in place of fresh tomatoes.
- Quick salsa - combine black beans, chopped summer squash, and a jar or your favorite salsa.
- Hot Salsa - Add chopped, fresh hot peppers or canned jalapeño peppers. Remember to wash your hands well after handling hot peppers.
- Note: Nutrient analysis and costing for recipe does not include cooked rice, tortilla chips, or noodles.
Connecticut Food Policy Council, Farm Fresh Summer Recipes