Enjoy this spicy chicken dish with a side salad or carrot and celery sticks.
- 2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 chicken breast, boneless and skinless, all visible fat discarded (about 4 ounces each) (halved)
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs (about 2 cups flakes)
- 1/4 cup sour cream, light (or fat-free)
- 1/4 cup buttermilk, 1% low-fat
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dillweed (crumbled)
1. In a large shallow bowl, stir together the hot pepper sauce, lemon juice, and olive oil.
2. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 8 hours, turning occasionally if longer than 30 minutes. Discard the marinade.
3. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray an 8-inch square baking pan with vegetable oil spray.
4. Put the cornflake curmbs on a plate. Turn the chicken to coat both sides. Transfer to the baking pan.
5. Lightly spray the top of the chicken with vegtable oil spray. Bake for 30 minutes, or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165°F and the coating is crisp. Transfer to a serving plate.
6. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Spoon the sauce over the chicken or use as a dipping sauce.
Learn more about lemons.
Power to End Stroke: 46 Healthy Soul Food Recipes Cookbook, p. 40