Lentils and spices add protein and flavor to this mixed potato dish.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon butter (or more oil)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (use 2-3 garlic cloves)
- 1 sweet potato, medium peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (use a dark-fleshed potatoes)
- 2 potatoes, yellow, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (use thin-skinned potatoes, such as Yukon Gold)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fresh grated
- 1 tablespoon curry paste (or curry powder)
- 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken stock)
- chopped fresh cilantro, divided (1/2 cup, optional)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- salt (to taste, optional)
1. In a large, heavy skillet, heat the oil and butter over medium-high heat. When the butter melts and foam subsides, sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes, until soft and starting to turn golden.
2. Add the garlic and potatoes and cook for another 3-4 minutes until the potatoes are starting to turn golden on the edges.
3. Add the ginger and curry paste and cook for another minute.
4. Add the lentils, cilantro (optional), vegetable stock, and coconut milk. Stir to combine well and reduce the heat to a simmer.
5. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Add a little water, stock, or coconut milk if it gets too thick.
6. Add the lime juice and season with salt (optional). Serve hot.
Canadian Lentils. The Big Book of Lentils Cookbook.