Use brown rice in this classic stuffed pepper dish to add more whole grains to your meal.
- 5 green peppers (cut in half, lengthwise)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 can diced tomatoes with chiles, undrained (10 1/2 ounces)
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained (12 ounce)
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1. Remove seeds from peppers. Cook in boiling water 2 to 3 minutes. Drain. Set aside.
2. Cook onion and garlic in oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
3. Combine rice, tomatoes, corn and onion mixture. Mix well.
4. Spoon rice mixture into pepper halves. Places on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
5. Bake at 350°F for 10 minutes or until hot. Sprinkle with cheese.
6. Bake again at 350°F for 5 minutes until cheese melts.
University of Maryland Extension. Food Supplement Nutrition Education Program.