Try this recipe with a variety of vegetables until you find what you and your family like best.
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice, uncooked
- 3 cups water
- lemon (juiced)
- 3 green onions (also called scallions)
- 1/4 cup parsley (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetables (of your favorite, cut into small pieces)
1. Wash rice and put into a 2-quart pot with water. Bring to boil, then lower heat to simmer, and cook uncovered until all the water is absorbed. (approximately 45 minutes)
2. Pour into medium sized bowl and allow to cool.
3. Pour lemon juice over rice and stir. When rice is cooled to lukewarm, add vegetables, salt, pepper, and oil.
4. Stir and chill at least 1 hour. This dish also can be served warm.
University of Wyoming, Cooperative Extension, Cent$ible Nutrition Cook Book, p. g-35