This skillet dinner calls for cooked chicken. Use leftover chicken that has been properly handled or canned chicken to stretch your food dollars.
- 1 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup green pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz, low-sodium)
- 1 tablespoon parsley (1 teaspoon, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons garlic (minced)
- 5 cups brown rice (cooked in unsalted water)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken breast (cooked, skin and bone removed, diced)
1. In a large skillet, sauté onions and green peppers in oil for 5 minutes on medium heat.
2. Add tomato sauce and spices. Heat through.
3. Add cooked rice and chicken. Heat through.
US Department of Health and Human Services, A Healthier You