Use fresh-cooked chicken or leftovers that have been properly handled to save time in this baked casserole.
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 broccoli, frozen (10 ounce package)
- 3 cups chicken, cooked
- 2 tablespoons margarine (or butter)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 Parmesan cheese (1/4 cup, optional)
1. Cook rice in 2 cups of water.
2. Let broccoli thaw.
3. Chicken should be off the bone.
4. Melt margarine in large sauce pan. Add flour to melted margarine and stir. This will be lumpy.
5. Use broth from chicken you cooked or use canned chicken broth. Slowly add broth to margarine/flour. Stir to remove lumps and thicken.
6. Add cheese and stir.
7. Add rice, broccoli, and chicken. Stir.
8. Put in a casserole pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
Learn more about broccoli.
Produce for Better Health and Connecticut Departments of Public Health and Social Services, Supermarket Smarts: The 5 A Day Way