A great recipe to use leftover chicken that has been properly handled combined with broccoli, cheese, onions, garlic, and brown rice to create a quick dinner.
- 5 cups water
- 2 1/2 cups rice
- 1/4 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 garlic clove (chopped)
- 1 cup milk (skim)
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup (10.75 ounces, condensed, 98% fat-free)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, low-fat (grated)
- 2 cups chicken (shredded, cooked)
- 2 cups broccoli (pieces)
1. Preheat oven to 350° F. In large saucepan bring water to boil. Add rice, onion, and garlic. Cook for about 20 minutes or until rice is soft.
2. While rice is cooking combine milk, soup, salt, and pepper, mix well. When rice is done combine with milk mixture, chicken and broccoli, mix well.
3. Grease 9 x 13 pan and pour mixture into pan. Bake in preheated oven for 18 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for another 6 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.
Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service, Healthy Recipes