Creamy cauliflower and low-fat cheese make a delicious sauce for this pasta dish.
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta shells
- 8 cups water
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower
- 1 1/2 cups milk, non-fat
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup cheese, low-fat
1. Fill 1 pot with 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once the water is boiling, add pasta and cook for 8 minutes.
2. Drain pasta and fill the same pot with 2 cups of water, bring to a boil.
3. Place the chopped cauliflower in the boiling water and cook until the florets are soft (about 4 minutes). Drain cauliflower.
4. Placed the cooked cauliflower, 1/2 cup milk, and garlic salt in a blender and blend until smooth.
5. In a separate pot, heat oil. Add the flour and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add 1 cup of milk and cook the mixture until it bubbles and thickens. Add the cheese and cauliflower and mix.
6. Once the mixture is complete, remove from heat. Add the pasta back into the sauce and serve.
- Low-fat cheddar cheese used in nutrition analysis.
- Learn more about cauliflower.
Michigan State University Extension - Midland County.
With Veggies, More Matters! cookbook