This salad is a great way to add some healthy grains, fruits, vegetables, and garbanzo beans to your meal.
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 cup bulgur (coarse, available in bulk from natural foods stores)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/3 tablespoon minced onion
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 cup scallions (chopped, green onions)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup carrot (chopped)
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed)
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- black pepper (to taste)
1. Bring water to boil in medium saucepan. Stir in bulgur, parsley, minced onion, and soy sauce. Cover and reduce heat; simmer 15-20 minutes (until all water is absorbed and bulgur is not too crunchy). Do not overcook.
2. Remove from heat and allow to cool; fluff with fork.
3. Combine dressing ingredients; stir well. Pour over bulgur mixture and mix well.
4. Stir in scallions, raisins, carrots, and chickpeas. Cover and chill for several hours. Store in refrigerator.
University of Vermont, Extension, Making It Fit: Piecing Together Your Food Needs