Don't let the name fool you- these muffins combine the goodness of walnuts, raisins, carrots, and spices to result in a muffin that can be tailored to your tastes.
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups applesauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- carrots, raisins, and/or walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 milk (1/2 cup optional, only if adding carrots, raisins or walnuts)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Line muffin tin with paper baking cups or grease bottom of tin with cooking spray.
3. Cream margarine and sugar with an electric mixer, or by hand.
4. Add egg, milk, and applesauce, mixing well.
5. Blend in cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and flour.
6. Add carrots, raisins, and/or walnuts if desired. If any of these items are added, also add milk and mix.
7. Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
Tip: Muffins turn out better when mixed by hand.
University of Wisconsin-Extension - Sawyer County.
Lac Courte Oreilles Tribe, University of Wisconsin-Extension Nutrition Education Program