Bulgur is the star whole grain of this simple and colorful salad.
- 1 onion (medium, chopped)
- 1 cup broccoli (chopped)
- 1 cup carrot (shredded)
- 1 green pepper (small, chopped, - may use red or yellow pepper)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley (chopped, or 2 Tablespoons dried)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 cups bulgur (dry)
- 2 cups chicken broth (low-sodium)
- 8 ounces chickpeas or garbanzo beans (canned, drained)
- Wash and chop fresh onion, broccoli, carrots, pepper and parsley (if using fresh parsley).
- Heat canola oil in a large skillet. Add onions and cook until soft.
- Add bulgur and stir to coat. Add 2 cups chicken broth to the skillet, bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, add remaining vegetables and chickpeas. Cook for 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
- Add parsley and stir. Serve warm or cold.
University of Massachusetts, Extension Nutrition Education Program, Choices: Steps Toward Health