Simmer eggplant, zucchini, red peppers, and tomatoes with onion, garlic, and seasonings for a delicious flavor in this classic dish.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion (peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 medium eggplant (peeled and diced into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces)
- 2 zucchini (diced into 1/4-1/2 inch pieces or use 2 cups of frozen zucchini)
- 1 red bell pepper (cored, seeded, and diced into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 1/2 cups canned low-sodium tomatoes (including the juice or fresh tomato)
- 1 lemon (quartered)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1. Put the pot on the stove over medium-low heat and when it is hot, add the oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until golden, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the eggplant, zucchini, bell pepper, basil, and oregano and cook, covered, until the eggplant is very, very soft, about 40 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and cook, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Serve right away, garnished with lemon quarters and basil, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.