This potato dish packs lots of flavor with reduced-fat cheddar cheese, onions, Italian herb seasoning, and Dijon mustard.
- 3 1/2 Yukon Gold potatoes (very thinly sliced)
- 1 cup onion (quartered and thinly sliced)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 cup stock or reduced-sodium broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- nonstick cooking spray
1. Spray an 8-inch microwave-safe baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Place 1/3 of the potatoes and 1/2 of the onions on the bottom of the dish and sprinkle with 1/3 the cheese and 1/2 the herbs.
2. Repeat layers, then top with the last 1/3 of the potatoes, layering potatoes so that there is a solid layer of potatoes with no gaps; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
3. Stir together stock, Dijon and garlic salt and pour over the potatoes.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on HIGH until internal temperature registers 165°F on a food thermometer, about 20 minutes.
5. Use oven mitts or a towel to remove dish from microwave; carefully remove cover due to steam build-up and serve.
Use regular salt and a dash of garlic powder in place of garlic salt if you like.
Make a tex-mex potato casserole. Omit Dijon and garlic salt. Layer potatoes with 1 (4-oz.) can diced green chilies and 1/2 cup canned black beans. Use reduced fat Cheddar or Mexican cheese blend. Add 1 teaspoon chili powder, 1 teaspoon dried cilantro and 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin to broth. Cook as directed above. Delicious served with avocado wedges.
Meeting Your MyPlate Goals on a Budget Toolkit by MyPlate National Strategic Partners