Cod fillets are pan-fried until golden brown and mixed with a rich tomato and spinach sauce for an easy seafood dish. Top with olives and serve with a favorite side for a quick meal.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound skinless cod fillets
- 1 yellow onion (peeled and chopped into 1/4 inch pieces)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 2 cups canned low-sodium diced tomatoes (or fresh tomatoes)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cups frozen spinach (coarsely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives (or other Greek olives pitted and coarsely chopped)
1. Put the skillet on the stove over high heat. When it is hot, add 1½ teaspoons oil.
2. Add fish. Cook about 5 minutes per side, until deeply browned. Remove the fish to the plate and cover.
3. Reheat the skillet to medium heat. Add the remaining 1½ teaspoons oil, onion, and garlic. Cook about 7 minutes. Add tomatoes and water. Cook about 10 minutes, until the mixture thickens and turns from bright red to an orange color.
4. Return fish to skillet with the tomato mixture. Cover with spinach and sprinkle with olives. Cover skillet. Cook about 2 minutes over low heat until the spinach is steamed. Serve right away.
USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion