Try this refreshing Mediterranean inspired dish with tomatoes and cucumbers and seasoned with mint and parsley. Ready in less than 30 minutes or make the night before for a bolder taste.
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 3/4 cup chopped cucumber
- 3/4 cup chopped tomato
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine rice, cucumber, tomato, parsley, mint, green onions, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in large bowl.
2. Toss well and chill.
- Use leftover brown rice from a meal cooked earlier in the week. Or, make a big batch on the weekend to use in this dish and for other easy weeknight meals.
- For best taste, refrigerate for at least 1 hour to allow flavors to blend.
- Serve over fish or lean meats, with hummus and pita, or as a stuffing inside fresh tomatoes.
- Materials: Large bowl, Measuring cups, Measuring spoons, Mixing spoon, Sharp knife.
Meeting Your MyPlate Goals on a Budget Toolkit by MyPlate National Strategic Partners