The USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion (CNPP) was established in 1994 to improve the nutrition and well-being of Americans. Toward this goal, CNPP focuses its efforts on two primary objectives:
- Advance and promote dietary guidance for all Americans, and
- Conduct applied research and analyses in nutrition and consumer economics.
CNPP's core projects to support its objectives are the following:
- Dietary Guidelines for Americans
- USDA Food Guidance System (MyPlate, MiPlato, MyPyramid, Food Guide Pyramid)
- Healthy Eating Index
- USDA Food Plans
- Nutrient Content of the U.S. Food Supply
- Expenditures on Children by Families
CNPP and the Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) are agencies of USDA's Food, Nutrition, and Consumer Services.